Monday, April 28, 2008

Tweakers

Not in the Meth head sense, even worse the bike gamer sense. As I have stated before I have this weird habit of constantly tweaking saddle height on my mtb's, based on feel, and feel alone. Yesterday was no different. I felt good warming up, yet the saddle "felt" a little low. What is a tweaker to do? Tweak it. In the scheme of things it made zero difference in the outcome, it just made it harder to pedal up the climbs. Even without the change I was getting beat yesterday. Sometimes you are not the best, and that is the cold hard fact. That is why the races are held.
This post is not to take anything away from the incredibley fast ride Pfluger & Mr. Gunn did. They killed it. They killed me and if you look at the lap times, they would have killed ALL the semi-pro's. I can only imagine how fast they would have been with a traffic-free course. We were catching people before the first big climb.
This post is just about how I always try to eek out a little more. If things are good, they can be better. If I am fast, I can be faster. One day I will finally learn that the set-up is fine. It is the mental hurdle of having the confidence that things are good enough just as they are. I need to trust myself that everything is just fine.
Good race, good friends. Fun to get out there and here the support. Fun to test yourself. Yes, even though I fell short. It was still fun to get beaten by two friends who I have an immense amount of respect for. Hopefully you will see all three of us on the Mt. Snow podium in July. My goals have not changed. I just know I need to be a little better in three months. I also know I need to stop tweaking. Maybe I will let Hamdiggler JB Weld my binder bolt later today.
Great ride Gerry & Gunnar.
Time to go to the garage and check saddle angles on the bikes to make sure they are the same. Yes, it is 3:45am.
No, I am not happy that I am up doing this.

2 comments:

Chris Mayhew said...

Good seeing you yesterday, that was great.

BTW, pretty interesting (and fact based!) method on setting saddle height, via Dr. Coggan.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/cgi-bin/gforum.cgi?post=1166879;search_string=trochanter;guest=30366100&t=search_engine#1166879

Chris Mayhew said...

F

here