Sunday, April 16, 2006

Feaster, rides & Mt Joy

So, I had some extra time this week, so I decided to get in some longer rides. I need to do some Turkey Hill prep, so Tuesady & Thursday were rolling 75 milers. Felt decent each day, was bummed when my POS PT pooped out. We will see, tomorrow, if they warranty the issue.
I was not going to race this weekend, but Ames was cool with it and Jared & Steevo were making another monster drive. I figured I would get in some more miles and help the lad.
Mt Joy coursa was cool. Very windy with a long false flat & a steep, short climb. Nine laps fr 51 miles. First few laps were people drilling it and people going out the back. The MG-GPOA mafia were all present in the top 15 on the climb. Coming in to three to go I witnessed the worst high-speed crash I have ever seen. A stupid crossing of wheels at 33 mph and wham a guy was slammed to the ground, damn near head first. The nasty sound of that and squealing brakes and mangling bikes was horrible. I was just to the right of it and made it through. The was basically the race as the field was split w/ two off the front and maybe two dozen of us making it through with six laps to go. Round and round with hard accelerations up the steep pitch. A group of four w/ Butts & Benitez kust roll off to 45 seconds. The Steve May rolls off. I go to the front to bring it back for the boys, but no other team helps. I ride steady for half a lap and bring back May and lower the gap to the group of four to 20 seconds. Up the pitch for the sixth time and Jared, Steevo & I are all still there. Then it happens on the wicked fast descent. I nail a rock. I am hoping and praying I am not flat. Well, thirty seconds late at 35+ mph my rear clincher goes down and I am swervy wervy. My day is done as the wheel van is no where to be seen.
The next lap Joe Whitman somehow rolls off and gets a 50 second lead on MG-GPOA group. The group of four up ahead starts to monkey around & JW catches them. By the end, JW rolls through them for third. Big talent there. Once he learns better tactics (like he showed today), he will be awesome. Jared follows a Mike Miller move and takes the third group sprint for 8th. Steevo rolls slightly after that.
On another note, I am so glad I ride for a team where I like all the riders and have great respect for them. I say this after I try to mediate a near fist fight betweem two Alliance teammates, mid-race. Long story short Bill Short misinterpreted a smart move by Ramon and screams at him in front of the field and the finish line spectators. Ramon wanted to fight right there. Ramon finished the race and promptly quit Team AE. He will be a thorn in their side all year. I guarantee, from knowing Ramon, he will make it his mission to ruin their races.
It goes to show that good teams are made up of greast people. Mike Miller said it to me during the race, "too many chiefs."
Ahh Feaster. I shoved so much food it was almost obscene. Beautiful.
Weel I am going to finsh watching Amstel Gold and enjoy a relaxing day after a hard week of riding and general stress.
Bye all, have a great Easter.

1 comment:

megA said...

I think that's Ramon's ninth team. . .