Thursday, September 14, 2006

In the blink of an eye

A man's life was taken from him last night.
http://spokepost.com/news/story/1535/?PHPSESSID=c282b42b53e9e5531a6736010b6c3601

How many cars pass you when you are out on a ride? How many times is that taken for granted? I know I never give it a second thought. Jon Dechau probably never did either. I met Jon once or twice, and do not profess to know him. I friend of mine knows Jon very well, and I am sure he is pretty upset as I write this. I could drone on and on about cars and drivers who do not pay attention. Riding a bike on a public road is an inherent risk, just not one that I see as a bad risk. Every day it seems to get a little worse. It is getting to be like a Hill Street Blues send-off, "Let's be careful out there."
Enjoy what you do, do what you enjoy. Just be careful out there.

1 comment:

dk said...

Sad story. Something that's in the back of my mind all the time but what can you do. Ride two feet right of the white line and that still wasn't enough. Riding a mtn bike isn't an option. Sad.