Thursday, June 15, 2006

Be careful what you wish for

My job is very unsatisfying right now. The thrill of short days wears off quickly. There is a possible opening on the horizon. It is a position that I think I would really love. I would work in the PA State Government as a liaison between Lilly and policy makers. Way cool, as I enjoy the nuances of politics and would be more in an advocacy role for open access pharmaceuticals. It would be a huge jump in rsponsibility and pressure. As the role is seen as the make or break person as it relates to making sure Lilly products are covered on State formularies. Definitely a challenge, with a huge upside. Also like any high pressure job there is a huge spotlight that only gets bigger as the shit gets deep. The lady in the position now is feeling that heat. I spoke with her about the job and she said, "be careful what you wish for." "Oh yeah, I also gave you an unconditional recomendation, to take this position." SWEET, I think.
So here I am with a possible major career change in the works, and I need to really sort this out. If I would be offered the position and turn it down, it would probably be career suicide. This is finally a position where I can sit at the big boy table and truly make a difference. Yeah, this is what I want. If it means huge sacrifices for the fall season, so be it. This is the first step to what I want to be when I grow up.

1 comment:

Jackie Brown said...

Do it for Pete's sake! It beats the hell out of sitting in a cube testing the same stuff over and over and telling the same people over and over that IT STILL ISN'T CORRECT! They don't call me the 'finger of death' for nothing you know.