Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Genius, effin' genius

I do not pronounce to be a Thom Torke and/or Radiohead fan. However, today, I converted. In fact I may even "buy" their new release, "In Rainbows". What makes Radiohead a genius band you ask? Today Radiohead officially changed the game of commerce. I do not mean downloading songs. I do not mean the record industry. Radiohead changed commerce as it is known. This example will be written in Economic textbooks in the future. Are you on the edge of your seat yet? Here goes. Radiohead ended their EMI committment in 2005. They are a world famous band without a label. So what do they do? They release their new release over their website. La dee friggin' da you say. What makes this incredible from an economic supply and demand standpoint is this. You, me, them everyone, we name the price that we want to pay for the release. That is correct. Pay what you like. Take it for free, it is yours. Pay the iTunes equivalent of $.99/song for ten songs and it is yours for $9.99. Take a stand and say the man will not bring the artist down and pay $100.
That is what is genius. A loyal fan base will never screw their idol. People will pay for it. Some will pay more than it is worth, like a public radio pledge drive. Some people are cheap and will take it for free. Radiohead says, that is fine.
Think of what Radiohead has done. They have avoided, packaging, shipping, distirbution, lawyers, contracts, artists, stores, labels, EVERY middleman has been removed. The actual record industry has been removed. From a retail support standpoint this is a scary concept.
What truly blows me away is the pricing. We name it! Hell I may even buy the release because I am so impreesed that Radiohead has balls the size of boulders to do this.
Certain actions change history. Without being over the top, I do feel this will change the face of commerce. Not globally, not product or service wide. However in niche market industries, where loyalty and passion play large parts in buying decisions, this concept is great.
Yorke is so out of the box on this that people will not get it. They will say he is a fool, and he may be. I think the fool will be the band who keeps up with the status quo.
There it is my pick for entrepreneur of the year, Radiohead.

No comments: