Thursday, January 22, 2009

Cold Turkey

I put the road bike away somewhere around the beginning of September. I have not been on a "road" bike since then. Granted it is somewhat semantics, as I rode my cross rigs on the road during CX season. In fact I do not even have a road steed built up at the present time. My last roadie started to crack at the chainstay so I am patiently awaiting the warranty replacement and my fixie is apart since I switched some cranks around for K.
I am going to break down and actually build the fixie back into a road steed this weekend. The fixie has just become an ornament in the garage, so I might as well build up a rain bike with soem older road parts. Hopefully the new steed arrives soon so I can build up yet another white bike, with some fancy schmancy Red shifters. Who knows maybe I will even race it? Prolly not. Better chance racing the TT bike than a pure road bike this year.
Funny how things can be cyclic. I lived and died for the road a few years back. Now, I could honestly care less if I ever race on the road again. I am quite sure that the road scene could honestly care less if I ever came back as well. MTB and cross are much more fun, at least for me. I guess you just get to a point where you want to do some different things. I remember speaking with Ry a few years back before Lower Providence crit. Your prototypical four corner mind-numbing 40 laps. Ry asked if I was doing an MTB race that day. I said that I was doing LP crit, his reply has always stuck with me. "Woo hoo 160 right hand turns, that should be fun." Crit racing was fun, but it just pales in comparison right now. With all the good road events around Lancaster I should check some out. I am sure they will be quality events.
I wonder if Mike Miller is counting his pretzel intake yet?

8 comments:

steevo said...

I was at a team meeting last night where they were talking about how good of a race lower providence is... haha

Spice said...

it's actually gotten better.

remember when it was littered with potholes? And it rained every year...

The only reason I go to Lower providence crit is so the old lady can shop at the King of Prussia Mall while I'm racing.

Hebe I think you'd find road racing more enjoyable if you took it as a few hours of riding your bike.

Jonesy said...

I back you up on the road racing deal Hebe!! USA cycling is the big joke to all the racers out there. Every road racer needs to look at the shit USA cycling pulls plus the promoter's need to step it up to make it "real racing". I have bitched for years that 1/2 races should be at least 50 miles plus for all the races. It is a joke to go and race for and hour and 15 minutes and that have do all that driving is bull. People need to come over the the dark side to see how mountain bike races are and how people have fun and hang out and eat and drink beer after the races!!

Spice said...

The reason I never got into mtb racing was it took all day to participate. driving to it...racing...waiting for results...waiting for awards..etc.etc. driving home.

Road racing..you're in and out. doing it here locally it only takes a few hours, half a day at most. It works for a lot of guys with commitments or other hobbies, plus you don't have to clean off a muddy bike.

Jonesy said...

So spice likes the race to the race then race then race home! It is the same for road or mtn, you will put the same amount of time in the car. I did that shit for 20 years. Same deal on the waiting for prizes and money at road races, plus the results where always screwed up any way thanks to USA cycling! Look at the MASS series and you will see that there are plenty of mtn bike races in your back yard. I drove for over 15 years from central PA. 3 hour there and 3 hours home with 1 hour of racing! Every weekend from April till September. The only good thing with the road is having 30 plus races to get your racing in but 30 plus miles should be the extra miles for the 1/2 race. But you are right on the clean up on the mtn bike it gets to be a pain in the ass. I look at it as everybody is having a good time on the mtn bike and a good time after being on the mtn bike you do not get that in road races!

Spice said...

no way man. I live in Lancaster county. I can ride to most of the races. except for maybe a few exceptions...results are posted 15mins after the race...then another 15 to become official.

although. it's a pain in the ass to mtb here.

it's just a different culture. Roadies get their socializing time during group rides...its the nature of it all. I have a blast on the weekend rides here.

He to the B said...

Spice is correct about Lancaster County. Riding is great, riders are super talented and good people. If I were just a bit closer. If I am packing up a bike to ride, it will not be a road bike.

Spice said...

true..If I were packing a bike to ride.

It's my dirtbike.

I miss my days living in WV where you can mtb out the door.