Monday, January 26, 2009

Humble pie

Yep, had my fair share on Saturday. We went climbing at Earth Treks in Timonium on Saturday. One of K's friends has been after her to go climbing for a while, and Saturday finally worked out. We set off to experience something different and try a new challenge.
Well, challenge it was. Holy handholds, Batman. As I type this my forearms are still tight and my grip strength, what little there is, is finally returning. Climbing was fun, and incredibly humbling. We both went through the 5.6/7 beginner routes with ease. Then it was on to some tougher stuff, with more incline. I tried a route that absolutely paralyzed my forearms for the rest of the day. I "completed" the route eventually. To make an analogy, it would be like McEwen hanging on to the window of the team car up the Ventoux and contesting a sprint. Yeah, I "completed" it. K's friends were such amazing climbers, and even better people. The maneuvered the wall with a crazy combination of power and grace. They took their climbing time to coach us and belay us, as we hung off the wall trying to shake some feeling into our forearms.
Climbing was fun and I can only imagine how much satisfaction you would get climbing outdoors. Listening to Ross explain climbs he did was so cool. I am definitely looking forward to the next time. Next time I will set aside my athletic ego. Hey I can pedal a bike fast, therefore I MUST be able to climb a wall. Right?
I have always had a great deal of respect for those who can do something that is so physically demanding. Saturday just proved that point again. I was amazed at the skill I witnessed Saturday. Maybe next time I will eat some humble pie before hand and work my way through the challenges, commensurate to my skill level.
I wonder what Steve Rice is doing these days?

1 comment:

Spice said...

When I lived in West Virginia I use to climb a lot of the local outdoor climbing spots...

well one time....I came back down and just as I was about to touch ground some hippie's German shepard bit me in the arse.