Monday, May 01, 2006

Elavator talk

In my job I wear a nametag. Kind of like a Wal-Mart greeter, but with a tie and pay and benefits are arguably a little better. Also I happen to run into a great deal of people going into doctor's offices, hallways, waiting rooms and elevators. Which leads me today's adventure.
I have the good fortune of waiting for one of the world's slowest elevators when a man walks up to wait for the same elevator. There are certain rules of etiquette that should always be followed in an elevator. No staring, look ahead ro acknowledge with a simple smile. No social banter with someone you do not know, a polite hello will suffice. Actually I jumped the gun a little, as I am waiting this gentleman is just staring at me. Mostly he seems to be staring at my nametag. Luckily I have on the generic Lilly badge, as opposed to my promotional badges. We get into the elevator, and the guy makes eye contact. Actually he makes stare contact. I politely say hello. He retorts with this little gem. "I have seen a lot of Jewish names today." Excuse me, I reply. He in his best no pre-frontal cortes screening incapacity says, "your name, it is Jewish." I am absolutely dumbfounded that someone would ever say anything such as this to another person. I calmly state that the name, of which I have been led to believe is of Norman descent. He looks quizzically and asks what Norman is. I do a quick geographic explanation for him. He then stares right at me and states this mindbender. "No, your name is Jewish. I know two orthodox Jews in New York City and their last name is the same as yours. Your name is Jewish." Now keep in mind I am only travelling three floors in this godforsaken elevator, yet I have still not arrived. I politely reply, that their name may have been shortened at some time for certain reasons, as I believe the Hebe surname may have been shortened centuries ago from Hebert. He does not understand this concept, nor does he buy it. As the bell finally rings to signal my escape he states again his belief of my Jewish heritage.
What an eye opener. I was so taken aback by this guy. Thankfully he was not going in the same office I was going to see. However, he was going into the office I had lunch scheduled with. Being the good salesperson that I am, I ask a few leading questions of the office's morning. I then retell my elevator story. I wanted to hear what the office take was on this guy. It turns out he accosted the Immitrex rep right in the office waiting room about having a Jewish surname as well. That rep is not Jewish either. The ladies said the guy was really wacky and did not want treatment from the doc because Dr. Cho is Korean and my new friend did not think the doctor knew the English language.
Unreal. Another day, another learning experience of the human psyche.

3 comments:

Flick said...

Good stuff. Funny.

If you see him again remind him that it's people like him who will be the first to go when 'your people' take over.

That should keep him in the stairwell for a while

Shalom

Fort James said...

Dude,

Being Jewish is a religion, not a race, right? That is the way I understand it, but what do I know?

Can anyone clarify that for me?

He to the B said...

No real need to clarify what was one person's blatant dislike of a group of people. I was thoroughly amazed at his brazen attitude and general instigating he pressed on with.