Monday, July 28, 2008

And now for something completely different

I opened up a book and started to read it last night. After a conversation last evening where I stated I just do not have the patience/attention span to read a novel, I figured I owed it to myself to try. A quick fifty pages before bed last night and another one hundred and forty tonight. I think I will finish Cormac McCarthy's, The Road tomorrow. Maybe I can do this.
Some close friends were making fun of me for my need for instant gratification at the shop tonight. I started to think about it a little. I really enjoy seeing a personal accomplishment, or experiencing personal reward in a timely manner. I also can enjoy things that are by no means instantaneously rewarding, probably just not as much.
So I think I am at a point where I can get involved in a book and actually enjoy just reading. Huh, whooda thunk it?
That being said if anyone has any ideas for books that I should read, please let me know. I like mystery. I like non-fiction storeis. If you have read a good book lately let me know. I am turning over a new page.

4 comments:

zayne braun said...

"a million little pieces" by james frey. check it out from your local library. the library will usually have section for new books and you can find all sorts of mysteries.

another good detective series is written by ian rankin. the inspector rebus series. scottish detective work....awesome!

Kim said...

I concur on a Million Little Pieces...and Another Day In the Frontal Lobe by Katrina Firlik ..she is a brain surgeon, it is a gripping memoir that I finished inside a week.

Mike said...

The road was my favorite of his.

Some good reads that are mystery and semi-non-fiction that I found interesting lately are by C.J.Sansom.

CJSansom on Amazon

van den kombs said...

Long Distance: A Year of Living Strenuously by Bill McKibben
(memoir)

off beaten path..

Why We Run by Bernard Heinrich
(Nature)

Reflections on the Art of Living
A Joseph Campbell Companion
Ed. Diane K. Osbon