Tuesday, July 29, 2008

PUT YER FOOT DOWN

That is what I heard over top of Springsteen's Johnny 99 on the Ipod tonight, as I am track standing at a red light. I turn left and notice the old guy sitting on the front porch of his trailer, yes I wrote "front porch of his trailer", he waves his hand and goes again. "Put it down." I reply, "nah that is cheating." He shouts back, " that's right, it is cheatin'." The light turns, I wave and pedal off, he smiles and waves back. Lately I have been having these type of interactions with peopl while riding that restore my faith in mankind. Little kids smiling from cars, drivers talking to you at stoplights, people nodding in approval as they pass. There seems to be some kind of good karma in the air of late. I am not sure what it is, I just hope it continues.
Todays spin gave me good time to get lost in the Ipod, singing along as I ride and just enjoying. I hooked up w/ Josh Beck for a few minutes. I have so much respect for that guy. Webster's dictionary should have a picture of him next to the word class. He was asking which bike I preferred on fire roads, 29er w/ road wheels or cross bike. I was stumped I could not answer. I did not want to slight one or the other. It was like asking which child a parent prefers. I like all eight of my "kids". Some are different thatn others, but I love them all the same. I think they dig me also. Oooops, yep that may have been a bit weird. So while riding and speaking with Josh I decided to off road it a bit through some loose gravel. Totally fun, and good practice to feel the rear wheel squirm. Unfortunately I pulled a "Lamont you big dummy" when I hopped back on the road and pinched the rear tire. psssst, flat. I was laughing, as I thought it was funny. I am sure some of the group riders did not understand my childlike joy and riding through the stones. A flat was the small price to pay for a moment of pure joy. Twain once wrote, "there is nothing so pure as a boy and his bicycle." In that moment that was me. Flat tire, who cares, I was having fun.
So riding has been super fun lately, and I am looking forward to tomorrow's ride already.
On a different note, I finished "The Road" today. Four sitting and the book is done. It is super depressing, yet somewhat uplifting in a "courage of the human spirit" kind of way. It may have been a Pulitzer Prize winner, but The Original Legend Bookclub gives a two opposable thumbs down. The content and context far outweighs the amazing detail.
Oh yeah, this guy seems to be trying to channel this guy. Freaky in a Post Office, have you seen this guy, wall calendar type of way.

1 comment:

dk said...

I was asked the other day if my "Cozza" is precursor to joining the local Fire Department.