Monday, August 25, 2008

Rah Rah Sis Boom Bah

Yes, kids it is possible to go to an event and NOT race in it. I spent my morning that way yesterday, and it was super fun. There was a local Tri 10 miles from my house so I went to do some spectating and cheering. With a nice morning warm-up ride and a some race wheel prep taken care of, I switched into spectator mode.
I had long since forgotten what it is like to open water race, so watching the swim was really cool. Since the swim was a lap swim, I was able to do some cheering mid-way through. Off to the bike leg she went and off to the woods I went on the cross bike. After some intervals it was time to go out to the half-way point of the bike to check the race out. Holy friggin' sweet, 5th overall! Back to some more intervals a quick high speed crash with the race director's wife and her mom (long story). Thankfully we were both relatively unscathed. Out on the run and still 5th overall. Holy Dang! A fast run and 5th overall and 1st woman.
What an awesome race. What a cool day. I caught up with some old acquaintences and spoke with some really nice people I had just met. The Tri scene is very close to the MTB scene. Very friendly, very welcoming and supportive and extremely positive. Now that I have spectated, I must say the old tri bug has me thinking. Mostly pondering the possibility of drowning after not swimming competitively in sixteen years, yet thinking nonetheless. It would be fun to do a tri. A new challenge. A safe environment where no one knows who I am and no one cares if I swim like an anchored yacht. Who knows. It sure beats 160 right hand turns and a sprint.
Maybe an Exterra race could be in the future?
Maybe I will continue being spectator/support crew? it sure was fun.
Great race and thanks for letting me be part of it.
I wonder what my late '80's tri buddies are doing right now?

2 comments:

Regan Bailey, PhD, MPH, RD said...

http://www.savagemantri.org/

DO IT!!!!

Spice said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Hebe if you turn into a tri-geek. you no longer exist.

come on dude. no need to do something that drastic.