Friday, February 15, 2008

Ironic is it not and other little tidbits o' life

I got a newsletter from my health plan today, I am deemed at risk for hyperglycemia and diabetes. Not new news, I knew that for the past year or so. The funny part was the Healthplan was sending me a letter to try to coax me into walking 30 minutes a day three times a week. Good luck, I hate walking. They also need me to watch my diet. Well I have given up Ice Cream and Nutella. So now that big brother is making fell swoop judgements based on the fact I can not control my heredity, it will be intersting to see if this affects my premiums if the "numbers" do not improve.
That being said I managed to exceed my healthplan allotment of weekly excercise, today. Felt like blah, still shaking this cold. Can you imagine my weight & sugars if I did not ride?
Seriously humor me. Last year I rode 450 hours. Not all that much by bike geek standards. Yet I had my best year ever, hmm. Sorry, back to the point. Conservatively each hour is 600 calories give or take. That is 270,000 calories. SEVENTY-SEVEN POUNDS OF CALORIC BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mother of Pearl. Yeah I better start walking, Forrest friggin' Gump style.
Think about it another way. As a cyclist you, I, we need to eat roughly the equivalent of SEVENTY-SEVEN ADDITIONAL POUNDS, calorically, just to stay at weight. That is pretty funny. Thanks healthplan, you know best.

Now for tidbits.
1) New pedals. Speedplay Zero, set almost fixed. Nice. No heel roll.
2) 151, my weight post-ride today. Not the Bacardi death rum.
3) Fort Collins Brewery sampler pack. Yum
4) Valentine's day. As good as it can be 2,000 mile apart.
5) New work initiative. Even more free time. How the EFF is that possible?!?!
6) Good chat with an old colleague
7) Team bikes are ordered. Yeah new toys soon.
8) New TT wheels, foreshadowing??
9) Still coughing up little creatures from my chest & head
10) Working at shop tommorow, on pancake breakfast day.
11) For Hoovis. My vacuum friggin' rocks.
12) Mastercard shut down my credit card after buying Black Crowes tix & new album. Profilers!
13) Three fun filled days in climate controlled Jacksonville next week.
14) Was toying with getting a new car. Nah, I will suckle the company Teet for a while longer.
15) Hoovis has pull. Getting a mention there is like Oprah's book club.
16) Flick is absolutely the best storyteller I have ever had the pleasure to read.
17) I counted a 21 race cross schedule, not including Nats & with open dates. Oh yeah. No real travel either. WTF, that is awesome.
18) St. Patty's day fete 3/15, starting at 6:00. If you read this you are invited.
19) Bro is taking K-Mad to see Grammy tomorrow. Deep down I do not want to see her looking like I think she does. Better to remember better times. Others will surely see it differently.
20) Last and most certainly not least. I can not wait to get off that plane next Thursday and speed over to the Warwick.

2 comments:

Burt Friggin' Hoovis said...

that's funny.

based on 100 calories burned per 5 miles of riding and 3500 calories for lb of fat, i figured out that in a year, i'd weigh something like 230 if i ate exactly the same and didn't exercise

Zach said...

i don't have to eat any extra....do you remember how I looked when I started racing/riding? Enough said....