Thursday, February 28, 2008

Like a bag of rocks, or how I spent my day yesterday

For my friend Turk. It's all some freaky shit brutha'. Hope the breezes are warm and the cares are few. Peace anyway.
So, in a very unsaleslike day yesterday I had a series of four meetings strung together. All having a distinct impact on my job, future and overall satisfaction. Yes, I stated I was putting my work woes to rest, just a wek ago. Yesterday helped to do that, or at least offer some needed clarification.
First off, remember when I stated there are just some people i do not click with? Well, meeting number one was with one of those people. I am not sure what it is/ You know when there is an immediate attraction with someone, and you realize there is an immediate disconnect. I try, I swear, that I try. I listen to her points and I try to see things from her side. She just Can't Understand Normal Thought. Ultimately I knew this grand experiment in carbon matter unfortunately had the impact of making my "career" a bit sticky. I acquiesed. I backed off what I knew was 100% right and made a bad business comprimise. Pick your battles, I guess. Smart like a bag of rocks. Meeting two was prep for #3. Each went well. Meeting three was quite in depth. I was happy with my colleague's & I off the cuff knowledge and support of our business and the choices that we make. Meeting four was the career biggie. It went pretty much as planned. I now know with no uncertain terms where I stand. Some aspects very positive, others I need to increase my presence on. The wierd part is that the piece where I am most supported, and would have the greatest financial impact would have me staying in sales and maintaining my present "voluminous" territory. More than a few of you know of what I speak to, with that statement. It is hard for me to come to grips with this. I am pretty driven. I like to work, despite what it may appear like presently. My concern is the possible misperception of being lazy. Maybe I need to fill out a time sheet for my MAC hours?
This all boils down to my steadfast refusal to give up my present life and move to Indy. I patently refuse. There are too many things in my life that can not be replicated in Indy. Couple that with the fact that the Colonel is not a big fan of "free thinkers" and I am there proverbial square peg strolling around cubicleville from 7:00-7:00 just to be seen. That just does not seem fun to me? Call me crazy, lazy, pragmatic, enigmatic whatever.
After all that I got to enjoy some time with the certain special somene. If you guys think I am committed and driven to things, you have not seen anything. As it relates to time together, it is just that. I could care less what we do, just doing it together is more than enough.
So I went from dealing with a bag of rocks in make-up in the AM where I have slim to no respect, to an awesome person who I think the world of to end my day. Yeah, that is a small price to pay.

No comments: