Friday, February 29, 2008

Beers & power tools or a good run

Something inherently manly about drinking beer and operating a saw w/ the blade just squealing through the wood. The calm of the Fort Collins Brewery Chocolate Stout and the buzz of the Black & Decker. Niiice.
I was cutting up some wood for the St Patty's Day fete. I cut up my cross barriers in a cathartic destruction of something that has consumed me for six years. It was good, and it was fun.
This act led me to think of my post title segue. The race enjoyed a good run. No matter how long that run may be, 13 years, 11 years 1 month, 6 years, whatever the time, everything has a shelf life. Relationships, careers, hobbies, everything. The interesting thing to me is not the run itself, but moreso what caused the downfall. Was it too much work? Was it too much stress? Was the passion gone? Was there a new interest to replace the old?
The ultimate end of a run is in and of itself intriguing to me. When do you know the run is over? One day you are going to wake up and say, "I just can not do this anymore." At that point are you lost, or is that decision the release that was needed to spark growth?
Nothing says a run needs to end on a bad note. That is kind of the point of the run. Knowing precisely the moment when the run should end.
I have had some real good runs in the past. I have ended some. Some have been ended for me. I am enjoying some real good runs in the present. I guess I know better now that nothing will last forever, and to think in such a fashion is stupendously naive. So I will wake up tomorrow and enjoy the run and hope to get another day.

No comments: