Monday, April 14, 2008

And so it began

The bike game has started. I do not even see the possibilty of a totally free weekend until The Black Crowes & DMB concert weekend at the end of June. I will probably still race that Sunday. Thankfully with the switch to MTB, there may be only one double road weekend. Sweet.
I have been thinking a lot about what I want to accomplish this year. I have a big goal, National Champion at Mt Snow, and some other very important goals for me. MASS Endurance series win, there I said that as well. I know there are caveats to that. I also know I will not be the fastest Endurance racer, but I will race very fast and trace the series, to win the series.
Lately I have been thinking about "challenge" goals. Such as, how far can I push my mind and body in competition. Is it a solo 12 hour race? Is it possibly 7 Springs 24 hr solo? Maybe a MTB stage race in Utah? I have done the normal events in the past 20 some years of racing. I am looking for something that says, I did something pretty special. I did something that I previously did not think I could accomplish.
When I look at what my brother accomplished at Flanders cyclosportive, I realize that a fundamental change in belief of what I can accomplish should be in order. Why is a long ride 5 or 6 hours? Why not seven or eight? Why let my past determine my future? It should be a good guide, not a limiter. There is nothing that says that you/I can not make a fundamental change, and what it is we believe we can accomplish.
So time will tell if I was able to achieve my goals and also do something that I deem special.
And so it begins.

1 comment:

steevo said...

I know a guy that can help with the long rides with NEW ROADS