Tuesday, April 08, 2008

If you want to see the light, first spend a little time on the Dark Side

In light of recent events, this post has nothing to do with them. Neither Saturday, nor Monday, however the irony is bizzaro.
What this does have to deal with is Sunday, and why I so enjoy racing mountain bikes. Last year was my mtb return after a hiatus since 1996. Sorry Slick Rick the Ruler, I think I trump your 1 year 4 months and 29 days. Good to see you again though. I referred to it as my return to the Dark Side. Thing is, I forgot what it was like to really enjoy a day at the races. Now, do not get me wrong, I like racing on the road. My teammates the past six years or so have been great. The road scene is such a weird clique. Basically if your funny colored lycra clown suit is not the same color as your buddy’s, you are NOT allowed to converse with him before or after a race. You must stick with your similar lycra outfit cronies. What is really queer is that last year you may have worn the same funny colored lycra clown suit as your buddy. This year you "moved up" and now are a sworn enemy!?!?
Mountain scene is nothing like that. It is, GASP, fun. How shall I explain, it is like people treating others with respect and enjoying their company, regardless of their team.
Why is mtb racing fun?
Here is why:
You are in nature, not an industrial park.
Twisty, turny, hopping, jumping etc…
Friendly people
Life is more than 140 right hand turns
Beer & donuts
Signing autographs for kids
Actually seeing Juniors en masse
Scratched up legs that look like they just were whipped with canes
Knuckles that look like you were in a bar fight the night before
Effort in= result out. No hiding, no sitting in for the sprint
The mentality. Maybe that should be #1?
You are allowed to talk with your friends
People hanging around to congratulate ALL classes when they get awards
To see the look on people’s faces when they see you ride a crazy section, as opposed to taking turn 3 really fast
Girls/women who actually race their bikes instead of participating in the Sherwin Williams paint-dry Classic
Technical skills = speed
MTB brings out the kid in you. Seriously, when you were a kid did you ride your bike around the playground 40 times and say that was cool or did you go and explore?

There you have it. If you really want to see the light, of riding and racing a bike. Get yourself a MTB and go ride/race it. You will thank me later.

To my team, teammates, friends at the race today thank you all for allowing me to come back to the Dark Side. I look forward to more podium shoe appearances, 9 for 9 baby, and drinking PBR out of freshly polished trophies throughout the year.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great "eye to the sky" treescape. Where was it taken?

He to the B said...

State College, about 20 feet up. The view off of my left shoulder was stunning. Zayne Braun has that pic somewhere

Zach said...

i'm really glad you decided to come back to the darkside mike. :-D

Anonymous said...

Yeah, and Slick Rick was away from all forms of racing, not just MTB.

He to the B said...

which is why ...the Ruler was tacked on to the back of Slick Rick.

van den kombs said...

Nice post.
I thought the road was the dark side ?? welcome back.