Thursday, April 24, 2008

The cart guy

I am a creature of habit. I will admit it. Pretty predictable, unless I am a little manicy, then watch out. Who knows what you may get.
As for grocery shopping, I like Weis. I can make my store list by aisles, before I even step foot in the store. Wegman's and the new Giant are nicer and have better selection and more high-end yummies. I just like Weis. At "my" Weis there is an institution for me. He is the cart guy. I always look for him. I always try to "help" him out a little, by pushing the carts in and lining them up. It is sheer unabated laziness and apathy that people can not take the extra three seconds and properly "stack" their carts in the cart storage thingie. The cart guy has been working at this Weis since it was built, maybe fiveish years. He has a learning disability. He is a younger guy, so I feel for him. Not in a pity type of way, but empathy. I must say I am at times, also inspired by him. Today was one of those days. There are some hallmark pre-frontal issues with him. He is loud, too loud. He has no filter. If he is happy you know it. If he is mad, you know it. There is little reasoning, just action. This leads to walking behind, in front of cars while entering and exiting the lot.
As I said, today was one of the days he inspired me. As I was unloading my groceries I heard him coming. I took my cart to the receptacle for him, but did not put in right in. He likes to take the cart directly from you if he is right at you. Like a shopping cart valet service. He takes my cart and gets sooo excited. "Yipee another cart!" Yeah, another cart, yay." "I love carts!" He keeps doing this as he takes the carts to the store.
Why is this inspiring? Am I just a sap? Am I making more of this than what it is? This guy absolutely LOVES his job. He prides himself on great cart service. He tests himself to see how many carts he can push at once. He is trying to be the best cart guy he can be. Every time I shop he is there. Snow, ice, rain, scorching heat, cold, you name it. He is herding carts and having fun.
So when your day is shit or when I listen to my noon conference call tommorow to announce yet another realignment, think of the cart guy.
Really a lot of my/our issues are not much more than some carts that are haphazardly thrown about by outside forces. We just need to straighten them out.
"Yippee another realignment!"
Thanks Cart Guy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike-

I know it has been a week or so since we have spoken, sorry for that, trying to find my niche here. So I used ur blog to play catch up. Apparently I may have been the cause of a little ride drama last week. Sorry I didn't realize the situation. And Rick I want to apologize to you as well. Sorry... :(

Well, although in one wk i have eaten sushi, thai, vietnamese, tapas, ( I didn't originally want to include the boring grilled cheese and tomato soup I had on sunday but that does seem to round the week off) I do miss a few things PA has to offer:

1. Cornerstone (This city is overtaken by starbucks!!!)
2. The Wick
3. The aroma of chocolate when returning from a nice ride
4. Hanging out with you (often involving the previous 3)

So, I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for being such a kind and caring person. I miss regular chats with you and hope that we can connect again soon.

Best of luck to you this weekend, and remember its about the journey (in theory, at least. That would be the injured leg speaking...) I am sure I will run into you at the race. I will look for the pasty white guy with pink thighs and forearms who needs to eat more ice cream.

Chili said...

Everyone has a cart guy in their lives...some just haven't recognized him yet. Humbling is good. Glad you shared cart guy with others.

BBP said...

it must be friggin' genetics. I too am obsessive over proper cart return. I will not only return mine, but also arrange the carts in the corral. I don't have a cart guy who would take offense to my help. People are lazy. Take three steps and put the cart away.

Anonymous said...

Certainly, it is not right

Anonymous said...

It agree, a useful phrase

Anonymous said...

[url=http://ebiteua.com/forum52-prostitutki-chernigova-i-oblasti.html]Проститутки Чернигов[/url]