Friday, April 04, 2008

Pain in the A$$, or at home surgery 101

WARNING!!!! This may be graphic for some, in topic and detail.
Part and parcel of being a cyclist can be something so affectionately referred to as the "saddle sore". For the few people who do not race, and read this literary masterpiece, a saddle sore is an sore, infection, ingrown hair in your tender regions. Every cyclist will get one eventually. No amount of chamois cream, Noxzema or post-ride rubbing alcohol (very pleasant by the way) will save you. When it is your time, "enjoy it".
You can get them from hygiene issues (not me), riding in the rain, too low/high of a seat, switching from bike to bike (my issue) and some other ways.
The downside side of racing MTB, road, TT is that I ride four different bikes through the summer. I use the same saddle on all bikes and try to keep similar saddle height and setback. No matter what there is always a difference. I was trying a stock saddle on the new Scalpel. It is made by the same company of the saddles I ride on ALL other seven bikes. Yes, I am that anal, no pun intended. It has a slightly different shape, couple that with a bouncy rear suspension, and riding off road, and viola there is trouble Down Under, and I do not mean Australia. The thing is I do not have a saddle sore per se. That would be easy. I have developed a blood blister. It is right on my sit bone. Coupled with the fact that I have a bony ass, and you can imagine the pleasantries I feel when I ride.
Back to the title, and this is where we venture away from PG-13. This blood blister friggin hurts. It hurts to sit, to touch and just hurts for the hell of it. So when it reaches max capacity, you must grin and bear it and release a little tension, ie blood. It seems there must be a lot of nerve endings in the sit bone area, because when I pop that little bugger the pain is almost eye-watering. Today was not so fruitful, and my friend the blister needed to be drained. Henceforth, home surgery 101. Keep in my I do not have an autoclave, nor do i really have any patience. So, my sterilization process consisted of running a pocketknife under very hot water. I can sense the wincing, because you know what comes next. I hoist the left leg onto the bathroom counter, grab my scalding hot pocketknife and process to go Marcus Welby on my ass. A quick lance and squeeze and there it came, red gold, blood I tell ya'. No sign of infection, yet, just blood. I am hoping the draining will help and i can get through the Super Duper Intergalactic US Open relay on Sunday with little pain to defend the crown we won last year.
Five hours in a chamois may mean another surgical intervention come Monday. Let's hope not.
Aren't you glad i care enough to share?

No comments: