Friday, March 21, 2008

Because I think better standing up

Not so much.
I am staying at Chez Leech, in State College this weekend, for the VisitPA.com MTB training camp. The computer is at the bar so I am standing. If you play along with this blogging thing you will remember that I stated I have the good fortune of surrounding myself with greatness, and great people. Today on our team ride the group was an ex National Champ, a present National Champ, a present 24 hr National series champ, a pro racer and myself. Yeah, I won the MASS last year, a cross series, and ten races outright. Yet, i was totally outclassed. It felt good to ride very well technically and definitely hold my own. It is so much fun to push yourself against those who are better than you. This is especially true on a MTB. So much of MTB racing is about lines and braking. Today was a grad school course with some of the best. Following Ry, Rob and Wes's lines through the fast shit was awesome. Watching Ray come flying by on the big road climb was humbling.
Three hours today with some nice climbing and two of the longest, steepest sustained rocky singletrack descents i have ever been on. I am not one for exaggeration and blowing my own horn. They were some technical hard descents. I am also a very good technical descender. I was holding on with controlled slides for a lot of these descents. It is hard to explain this to a layperson. I will say it this way. Most sane and normal people would not want to walk down these descents or try to walk across the rock gardens that we ride. Really, not to be full of myself. The sections really are that difficult.
A nice dinner followed and a little team building beer pong and quarters, I still have the touch.
Six hours on tap for tomorrow, should be fun. Good friends, good trails. Yeah, I dig riding a bike.
Sounds like I may get lucky and get to ride some fresh snow tracks tomorrow.

No comments: