Wednesday, March 26, 2008

A gentle reminder

That is what I got today from Diggler & A, at damn near the same time. The gist was simple. Every time I whine about my job, remember the time it affords me to do other things, like ride.
I swore to not bitch as much about my job, and I think I have been good. The reminders, although from totally different contexts, really hit home. A's was so out of the blue from the conversation that we were having. Diggler's was like an ah-ha/gotcha, you finally admitted it, as we were referencing someone Else's free time and training.
These two reminders really made me think while out riding. A's made me feel guilty, and rightfully so. I felt this way with old A a few years ago when she was slammed at work. Guilty in that I have a very advantageous schedule for someone of my pursuits. Whereas, others with the same passion, like A, are not nearly so fortunate. This is precisely why I try to avoid most work conversation when we speak. I am almost ashamed of my free time/good fortune. I am not ashamed of what I do. I am good at what I do, when I get the chance to actually do it. There are days where I wish I could talk on and on about what I did at work. It just does not happen.
Diggler's reminder was more of the "you better use this opportunity to be damn good". Essentially, I have the time, knowledge and skills to succeed as a racer, so there is no excuse not to.
To each instance I wholeheartedly agreed. The other thing that made these reminders so poignant, sorry Diggler you will have to look that one up, is the respect that I have for these two people. Diggler as a cyclist, and A as a person and professional who does not seem to get the work credit she deserves.
Add to this situation the email I received from A Shizz today about just this dilemma, and things were hitting close to home.
For those who reminded me today, Diggler, A Shizz and A, of just how I fortunate I am, at the present time, thank you. Hopefully tomorrow, and the next day, the day after, and so on, I will keep your words in the front of my mind and take them to heart.
At some point, every run has an end. Deja vu, all over again.
I wonder what Bev Sweger would say if she read this crap?

No comments: