Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Two left hands

That is how I have felt at the shop lately. It seems i can do nothing correctly. In my own defense, of which there really should not be any, the bikes I was working on were totally new to me. In style, components, lay-out everything. Thing is, I rather pride myself at being able to do all of my own bike wrench work, except for wheel building.
The TT bike and the F1 29er damn near defeated me. The bikes are sweet and the components top notch. It was just that I was not thinking straight and every time I added one and one, I got three. It went from comical, to almost hard to watch for the guys at the shop. Today was only slightly better. I managed to Stan's up the new wheels and tires spot on, with the first go. That was good. The hydraulic brakes were another issue. Added oil, but mostly air. So that did not work so well. Then bled the system, or better, basically watched as Jeff bled the system. Still no dice. Just not working out.
Add to that general stress about life and being tired from the weekend and I am not at a good mental game. Thankfully I get to leave the area for a few days to do nothing but ride with the VisitPA.com mates. Hopefully that will clear my head.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can envision the scene. Mike with arm cocked back, wrench in hand. Kyle, standing in direct line of fire, has the usual dumb look on his face. Steve, while figuring out how many grams less his bike will weigh with the new $500 bar tape that he just ordered, hears a distinctive growl and on instinct yells "Duck!!! He's about to Hebe-Out!!!" Allen, ringing up a customer, hits the deck while both Don and Ray tackle the customer just in time for the wrench, which grazed Kyle’s right ear (dumb look still on his face), to slam into the display stand behind him.
Damn, I miss those days...