Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Pissed part 2 or sick & tired of subsidizing everyone else

So, if you remember my little rant on Dub Ya's economic stimulus pandering plan this will be a nice follow up.
Today was my annual meeting with my tax preparer. As many of you know I am very loal to people. The same person has done my taxes for the past 5-6 years. It is not like they are complicated, but it is one less stress and she truly tries to help me out and get every last deduction for me.
This year I thought would be my year. I am filing single for the first time in thirteen years and old A's withholdings, or lack thereof, would not hurt me. Yes, I say ME since I poaid the bills.
Fast forward. As we start my tax prep lady notices a big issue with my local earnings. They are somehow THREE times LESS than State & Federal. "This is not good", she says. "Let's do Federal first." Fair enough, we go through the info and she says, "you are not going to like this". Sure enough, I did not. Seriously it felt like I had just been punched in the gut. I was flabbergasted. I owed $1,300+! How is this possible I damn near shriek. "Do you want to know the real reason", she replied. Yes. "You are paying for those people who do not pay taxes and suck off of the Government. There it is. I pay 27% of my earnings in taxes, so that I can subsidize the rest of this country. I am so pissed that it makes no sense to write anymore.
Ooops sorry, I forgot about mt Local Taxes. We shall forever refer to this as "the great rabbit punch of '07." Seems that after my move out of the State St. apartment and buying my new place, Lilly stopped paying into local taxes for seven months. Basically Lilly feels Fairview Twp is too small and does not want to withhold local taxes "as a courtesy" to me. So, either pay quarterly, or pay in a lump sum. $900 later Westab had their pound of flesh.
Yes kids, I am equal parts upset, frustrated, confused and out and out pissed.
To top it off, the only $0 on my tax return was at the bottom of the Federal portion. That was to tell me what I would be receiving in economic stimulus. So enjoy your stimulus if you get one. In fact you may feel free to send me small gifts or provide sympathy beers at any race or bar that you may see me at this summer.
This is yet another reason why I support a flat tax with no deducctions. Let every citizen pay their fair share. I am not poor, nor am I rich. I just want to be treated fairly in the whole scheme of taxation.
If you think of it in an even larger global context I am taxed much more heavily due to the fact that I am a consumer with disposable income. So, I stimulate the economy. I accrue ZERO debt, to hurt the economy. I somehow get the privelege of paying a disproportionate part of my income to the government.
Get ride of sales taxes. Seriously get rid of them. Without sales tax peole have an increased buying power of 6%, essentially. That is stimulus. Then institute a flat taxe directly from yoyur wages. Granted this is still unfair in many respects, under the table work comes to mind, but it does accomplish the concept of equitable taxation.
The poor do not pay, because it is just set up that way. The rich do not pay because there are so many bogus loopholes. It leaves the burden on those in the lower, upper & middle middle class.
OK, that is enough ranting. I have used my break before lunch.
Off to make some more cash, so I can pay it all back to Uncle Sam & his little cronie, WESTAB.

2 comments:

steevo said...

OH MAN!
Yesterday was a pain for me, I had to go to the post office to get a money order to pay for my new bike because I didnt want to deposit the cash into an account to write a check. You know... leave no paper trail so uncle sam cant prove that you made any money.

Sorry dude.

See if Lily will pay you in cash, its pretty freaking nice.

van den kombs said...

I agree with flat tax idea, but the system also employs a lot of people (IRS, CPAs etc) to decifer and enfore the complicated tax codes..many forces would fight to keep status quo.

The three possible presidental candidates all seem to have big spending plans (war,foreign aid,govt programs up the wazoo) so I doubt that 27% rate will ever come down...
sorry about the hit, but maybe your windfall will come on ebay.