Saturday, March 08, 2008

Multi-post day. I can feel it

I figured I would get a little yard/garden work done before Noah's ark shows up later today. Raked some leaves, put in some more solar lights and assessed the next backyard project.
After MAJOR work last year, this year will hopefully be much more tame. I need to make a boundary around a back flower bed. As, I noticed today a good deal of my mulch is now in my neighbor's yard. I also need to do some major reseed work around the back of the yard. Those will be the first issues.
I am going to dig up an area of yard that is fer shite out front and join two flower beds to make a very large sweeping bed area in the front. That should look pretty sharp.
I zipped out to Home Depot to get some party supplies for next weekend for everyone's warming pleasure. I picked up two 7' high propane tower heaters. They are pretty sharp and should kick the heat for the remainder of the patio and deck area. I put in a few more solar lights for ambiance. I should be set for the fete. Maybe I should just host the MAC party?
As for the fete. IF YOU READ THIS DRIVEL, YOU ARE INVITED. Smithwick's on tap and good times will flow. I am trying to pull a super neat super sweet (totally pilfered from Steevo) surprise for everyone. We shall see.
As for my poll question, I knew that the results would show that way. Why? Simple, most of the people who peruse this drivel realize that what you do today is far more important that anything you may do in 20 years. My old colleague, who did some serious coattail riding, just got his golden ticket punched to go to the Mothership. He was told to count on an 18-24 month stint working from 6:30-6:30, plus some weekend prep work. That is where my disconnect lies. I, you, we could build the nest egg of our dreams, yet never enjoy the time in which we are building it. How does working twelve hours a day and sleeping for eight hours on top of that equate to any sort of well-being?
A few things have happened of late that further cement why I am so steadfastly adamant of keeping my present lifestyle. Two very good friends were hit while riding this week. Thankfully, both are only bruised. Another person very close to me is going through a myriad of concerns. I am not really sure how a CSS actuallt manages on a day to day basis. Strong, very strong.
These instances serve as a glaring reminder that what is precious is today. We have today to enjoy. Tomorrow is not gauranteed. It is not granted as some god-given right. So what if I retire with a gazillion dollars in my 401k and a good pension to live off of. I guess I write this from the standpoint of this, why on God's great paved Earth would I want to do something that has a negative impact on my enjoyment of life? Happy, safe, comfortable are all relative terms. You are kidding yourself if you equate money and status to these concepts.
Todays little list of things to provide happiness.
Rake leaves in the rain.
Clean out garage of MAC equipment and see McD
Listen to new Crowes CD.
See some Blues at Jackson's Junction.
Txt message.
Ride my trainer so slowly that you would laugh at me.

1 comment:

steevo said...

Since I think you might be ga ga over somebody....

http://www.plyrics.com/lyrics/screechingweasel/totally.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ECZzyVFao4